Sunday, July 9, 2023

True American Pride - Real Things to Celebrate About This Nation (#9)

 This next entry was one of my favorite to write this past month. What a great memory!

#16:  CLASSIC AMERICANA: "THE WIZARD OF OZ"

“What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot? What have they got that I ain't got?” (The Cowardly Lion, "The Wizard of Oz")



For Day 16 of True American Pride month for me I remember and celebrate the American film "The Wizard of Oz". A musical version of Frank Baum's book opened in Chicago today in 1902. The classic film version premiered in August 1939. Movie researchers at the University of Turin in Italy studied over 47000 films produced globally and declared in 2019 that "Wizard of Oz" was the most influential film of all time.


Perhaps so. All I can say is that I can still to this day vividly remember watching this story every year with my siblings as we grew up. And I continue to watch it at least once a year and still marvel at the characters and their portrayals; the cinematic 1sts achieved in this landmark film; the amazing trivia tidbits about the film; and most of all the timeless principles of home, loyalty, courage, good triumphing over evil, and friendship which the story highlights. It is inspiring and endearing which is why I watch it over and over. And also why I've watched very few US films made in the last 20 years - those principles seem to mean nothing to Hollywood today.



Cheers to this movie! I'll end with a couple of my favorite lines from the movie. (some you'll catch me saying still today!) Feel free to add your own in the comments! (Ok. More than a couple. Couldn't help it!)
"Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.”
“Lions, and tigers and bears! Oh my!"
“Some people without brains do an *awful* lot of talking, don't they?”
“Orders are nobody can see the Great Oz! Not nobody, not nohow!”
“A heart is shown not by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” — The Wizard of Oz

#17: THE STATUE OF LIBERTY

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." (Emma Lazarus, inscription at base of the Statue of Liberty)



Day 17 of my celebration of True American Pride. Today I remember the Statue of LIberty. If there is any one single monument that represents the best of this country to the rest of the world, it is this. A gift from the nation of France in 1886 to celebrate mutual friendship and the abolition of slaves in the U.S., the statue has greeted millions of visitors and immigrants, and has been a symbol of hope and new beginnings for all.
And there is no denying that the United States still remains that kind of place: a refuge where dreams can and do come true, if you're willing to work hard and become part of the great American "melting pot".
Few know of the intended symbolism of key features of the Statue. The crown: Represents Lady Liberty's halo enlightening the world. The torch: A symbol of progress towards freedom. The tablet: A book of laws indicating that this nation is governed by laws. All of this deserves to be recognized and honored.


I think it's safe to say that all Americans came here from somewhere else. hoping for a new start. That is the essence of America. My ancestors came from Germany and Finland. And I think it's also safe to say that the vast majority of Americans recognize that our nation's strength comes in part from our diversity...and that we welcome all those who come to this country - peacefully and legally - to be part of this great nation. God bless America





All reac

No comments:

Post a Comment