Wednesday, July 12, 2023

True American Pride - Real Things to Celebrate About This Nation (#10)

 Next volume of these entries. Wrote the 1st one on Fathers' Day. Good memories. 

#18: JUNE 18: AMERICANS AND THEIR LAWNS.

"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars." (Walt Whitman)


Today is Day 18 of my True American Pride month. It's also Father's Day. For some reason, when I think of "America" and "Fathers" today, my mind goes to the All-American practice of mowing the lawn. Historians say you can trace the American obsession with planting and tending to large tracts of green grass in front of their home to the post WW-II years. Home ownership soared and a well-maintained: watered, mowed (in perfect lines), trimmed, and fertilized lawn was the true sign that one "had made it"

Me and my Dad - circa 1962

Our childhood home (The Ranch) had its own vast grassy lawns. And I think all of the kids learned the duties of mowing it. As you can see, it was a "special skill" that my father passed on to me.

Mowing at the Ranch - circa 1968

Graduating to the tractor - circa 1973

So cheers to our lawns! And cheers to the Dads that taught us many right and true lessons. Good American dads are indeed the foundation of this country. God bless them all.

Dad, "The Tractor Man" with Jeff B.

#19: JUNE 19: AMERICANA: THE CLASSIC MARTINI

"Martinis are the only American invention as perfect as a sonnet.”
(H. L. Mencken
“A man must defend his home, his wife, his children, and his martini.” (Jackie Gleason)
”I had never tasted anything so cool and clean.” “They made me feel civilized.” (Ernest Hemingway)

Day 19 of True American Pride month. Saw that today is "National Martini Day" so I'll go with that.
This classic cocktail is an American invention (Bravo!). Mixologists say it was 1st created in California during the mid 19th century Gold Rush by a clever bartender. Whether it was Julio Richielieu at a saloon in Martinez CA, or Jerry Thomas at the Occidental Hotel in San Francisco, makes no difference to me. Shaken, stirred, "dirty", with olives or a twist, Americans (like Don Draper and Roger Sterling of "Mad Men") have been enjoying the crisp, clean taste of this drink for over 150 years now.


The martini is also called America's most political drink and is the only "proper" drink one orders at any of the snootiest haunts in Washington D.C. It was Franklin D. Roosevelt's favorite drink and he hosted a daily "Martini Hour" every day.
So cheers to the martini! And one final quote:

"I never go jogging, it makes me spill my martini." (George Burns)



No comments:

Post a Comment