Tuesday, July 4, 2023

True American Pride - Real Things to Celebrate About This Nation (#4)

 Continuing to add to my blog the entries that I posted last month. Appropriate to add a couple today on Independence Day. God Bless this great Nation!

#6: JUNE 6: REMEMBERING D-DAY

"Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hope and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world...." (Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, Order of the Day, 6/6/1944)

On this 6th day of my celebrating things in America to genuinely be proud of, I remember the courage and sacrifice of many Americans on this day 79 years ago on the beaches of Normandy.


Americans have been willing to be leaders in the world that stood for what was right: freedom, democracy, and to stand against evil. The American efforts to win WWII are the epitome of that impulse.

The Guns at Long su-Mere - Omaha Beach FR 2004


One of Robert Capa's famous photos from D-Day - The 1st landing at Omaha Beach

In recent years that noble impulse has been tarnished by short-sighted and selfish politicians who have used American power for unworthy reasons. But that doesn't erase the fact that this country can...and still does for many...remain a bastion of strength and support for what's right. God bless America. 😎🇺🇸 

The Memorial at the American Cemetery, Omaha Beach FR 2004

#7: JUNE 7: THE AMERICAN COWBOY

Rip Wheeler and Beth Dutton - "Yellowstone" (2021)


“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.” ~ John Wayne

Day 7 of True American Pride month. Today I celebrate the American cowboy. There is no person or image that best represents so much of the culture and values that epitomize the best of America. That's why the cowboy - from John Wayne in "Stagecoach" to "Yellowstone's" Rip Wheeler - appeals to so many. The cowboy is rugged, independent, hard-working, honest, "Yes, ma-am, No ma-am" polite, and never quits. And in the words of Woodrow Call ("Lonesome Dove"), "I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.") Love that line!



Cowboys taking a break - TX 1907

If you've ever had the pleasure of knowing a real rancher/cowboy, you know those things are true. I do.
So, though there may be more "suburbs" than "saddle" in me, I salute the Cowboy. May that spirit stay strong in all Americans. And may we all ride off into the sunset with that someone special. 😎

A cowboy and his girl - Bandon Beach OR 2015



Riding the Range - Sunriver OR 2021




No comments:

Post a Comment