Friday, May 13, 2022

Remembering "The One"

 “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” (Charles Dickens)

Today's entry is inspired by a story that I once had taped to the wall behind my desk in the classroom; tucked away in a spot only I could see. Its semi-secret location was intentional. I wanted it to be someplace where I could turn to it and find encouragement when the day had been hard. When my students seemed most disconnected and unteachable. When the lesson plan just flopped. When I felt the sting of defiance from an angry teen...or when one more burden was added to my already filled day by a distant administrator. When the thought arose stealthily from the recesses of my mind and whispered, "Why are you doing this?. This is too much." And in those moments, this story always helped me. 

It's most common title is "The Starfish Story". It is adapted from the original story "The Star Thrower" by Loren Eiseley. You can read it below.


That Truth was one I never wanted to forget, especially in the midst of discouragement and seeming failure. When everything in me was screaming, "You cannot - you haven't - made a difference!" And in those times, I'd read the story, and then I'd try to do what it reminded me to do: Find the One. Remember the One. Work to help the One. 
"I can make a difference to this one". 

I can vividly remember one time in my teaching career when this reminder absolutely transformed a moment. It happened 8 years ago. I had retired from full-time teaching, but was in my 2nd year as a substitute teacher - still learning what that was all about. I took a job subbing for a middle school choir teacher, thinking "How hard can this be?". To make a LONG story (and day!) short - it was the hardest day of my 37+ years as a teacher. The hardest part was being sent to an elementary school and trying to lead a class of 1st graders. No lesson plan. Just 22 6 year olds dropped in my lap. All I had been left to do was sing "I've Been Working On the Railroad" to them. As I feebly tried to do that, chaos was erupting around me. Boys running up and down the aisles. A little girl tugging on my pants leg, asking me to tie her shoe. Loud urchins banging on the drums in the back of the room like mad Taiko warriors. I felt totally helpless. I knew enough that I couldn't just start yelling at the little kids in my most menacing "teacher voice". That would've merely made them cry. I was at my wits end. 


Then, in the midst of the thunderous chaos, I looked up. And I saw a quiet little Hispanic girl just sitting there. Looking at me. She seemed unaffected by the tumult; just patiently gazing at me. Doing her best to be "the good little girl" that her parents had raised her to be. Watching me and waiting - waiting for my response. 

And in that moment, I remembered to Find the One and to do my best to make a difference for that One. For her. So I took a deep breath, and I gave her my full attention. Our eyes met, and I smiled at her and nodded. And then I leaned closer to her and said "Thank you for being a good student". She smiled back, as I proceeded around the room and gently, slowly corralled the rest of the rowdies back into their seats just as the bell rang.  I went home that day, absolutely exhausted. But I never forgot the power and the beauty of that single moment with that little girl. 


It's so easy to forget the power of a single, seemingly "tiny" action. Darkness and discouragement work overtime to convince us that we are powerless in their presence. All around us all we seem to see these days is conflict and unfairness. The powerful and connected seem to get away with whatever they want. The world seems controlled by those much "larger" than just "me" - the individual. Hypocrisy and lies seem to be the currency that "gets you ahead". In the face of being "cancelled", or "doxxed", or hounded by the "Woke" mob, what can one do? 

The answer, I believe, lies in the story I shared at the beginning. Find the One. Work to Remember the One. Help the One. Have the Courage to Be the One. 

“Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened. (Billy Graham)

All of the noblest virtues in Life - Courage, Compassion, Patience, Honesty, Forgiveness, Charity, and especially Love - are seeded in each one of us. And they flower and grow when they are shared. One small act at a time.  This is how what is True spreads, and how it exists throughout time, no matter the challenges. 



I recently shared this story with my daughter in-law. She is currently working as a traveling nurse and is away from her family often. Her job requires her to do her best to help those who are in pain and are helpless. And one night, my wife told me Krystal was feeling discouraged. "This is too much", she said.  So I passed on this story to her and told her we believed in her and loved her. 

The next morning Krystal texted me and thanked me for the encouragement. She said she went back to work looking for "the one" and doing her best for that person. 

I'm sure she found the One. Just as I had when I shared the story with her. She was my One that day.

May I remember to keep looking each day for the next One. That's how Pearls are found. One at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment