Wednesday, June 14, 2023

True American Pride - Real Things to Celebrate About This Nation (#2)

 

Here's the 2nd entry with the Real American Pride posts I've been making this month.

#2:  JUNE 2ND:  THE BILL OF RIGHTS

"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Day 2 of celebrating true American Pride. I can think of no single thing that Americans have contributed to the world that deserves celebration...than the concept of fundamental "inalienable" human rights, as expressed in our Bill of Rights. Truly a revolutionary concept: one to both be proud of, and to be willing to defend fiercely. May we never take them for granted.


  • First Amendment: freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and freedom of assembly
  • Second Amendment: the right of the people to keep and bear arms
  • Third Amendment: restricts housing soldiers in private homes
  • Fourth Amendment: protects against unreasonable search and seizure
  • Fifth Amendment: protects against self-testimony, being tried twice for the same crime, and the seizure of property under eminent domain
  • Sixth Amendment: the rights to a speedy trial, trial by jury, and to the services of a lawyer
  • Seventh Amendment: guarantees trial by jury in cases involving a certain dollar amount
  • Eighth Amendment: prohibits excessive bail or fines and cruel and unusual punishment for crimes
  • Ninth Amendment: listing of rights (in the Bill of Rights) does not mean that other rights are not in effect
  • Tenth Amendment: power not granted to the Federal Government is reserved for states or individual people
The Bill of Rights is the United States. The United States is the Bill of Rights. Compromise the Bill of Rights and you dissolve the very foundation upon which the Union stands.” ~ A.E. Samaan

#3: JUNE 3RD: THE MEN & WOMEN OF OUR ARMED FORCES

"Duty, honor, country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."(Gen. Douglas MacArthur)
Day 3 of my personal celebration of pride in America. Today I am proud of every person who has served in this country's military. My father and brother both served with distinction in the US Air Force. My sister Mary served in the U.S. Army. Every single person that I have ever met who was in the military have been inspiring examples of all that is best of the American character: honest, brave, willing to give themselves for something other than themselves, responsible.

My dad (kneeling front row left) and Swamp One crew (1962?)

My brother Dave, 20 year veteran USAF

I'll never forget a moment I had on one of my trips to Ireland. Was waiting for dinner in a restaurant in Galway. Across from me a group of young men were passionately debating the strengths of the U.S. Constitution. Thinking it was an odd conversational topic, this old Social Studies teacher had to listen in. I learned the group of men were U.S. Army helicopter pilots gathered for an early morning mission over Ireland. Amazing individuals.
I remember how proud I was then of our American military. And I still am today. Salute to all who are serving and have served. You're the ones that deserve a month of commemoration.

Me visiting my brother at his last post Whiteman AFB MO, 2009






No comments:

Post a Comment