Wednesday, June 14, 2023

True American Pride - Real Things to Celebrate About This Nation (#1)

 

The real democratic American idea is, not that every man shall be on a level with every other man, but that every man shall have liberty to be what God made him, without hindrance. (Henry Ward Beecher)

In 1999, then U.S. President Bill Clinton designated June as "Gay and Lesbian Pride Month". Twelve years later, another Democratic President Barack Obama expanded that designation for June to become "Pride Month" to celebrate and honor all sexual identities.

I did not - and do not now - agree with these enforced "celebrations". Without spending much time and space here, I'll simply say I find there to be nothing "American" or "Unifying" in celebrating anyone based solely on their skin color, ethnicity, or presumed "identity", sexual or otherwise. Doing so is artificial, self-centered, and divisive. Amen.


So this year in response to the increased attention forced on Americans about "Pride Month", I began my own personal celebration of GENUINE things about America to be PROUD OF. These can be historical events, figures, national values, cultural icons, etc. It's been fun each day to think of something new to honor that is much more meaningful. And it's been fun sharing these things on my Facebook and Instagram pages.

I wish I'd thought earlier to preserve them here in my blog. I'll begin doing so now. Here are the 1st couple of "True American Pride" posts. Enjoy.

#1: JUNE 1ST: THE BEAUTY OF THIS LAND

"May the sun in his course visit no land more free, more happy, more lovely than this our own country!" (Daniel Webster​)

Starting my own "Pride" month today. Celebrating America: it's history, culture, beauty, the ideals it was founded on, the true values that the majority of its people embrace and work to express. All of this is worth recognizing and honoring. Anything else is purely self-centered and false. So each day this month I will share one thing that I'm proud of as a citizen and student of this great nation. I'd invite you to do the same. Time for real Americans to speak up.
Today I'm proud of the natural beauty of this country. If you have seen even a small part of it, such as that in our National Parks, you know in your heart we are truly blessed. Several years ago Deborah and I got to visit several parks in the Southwest. Will never forget walking in the Narrows at Zion National Park.



The grandeur of the Grand Canyon in Arizona


Breathtaking. And we're equally lucky to be able to enjoy the gorgeous Oregon coast and its wonders too.



God bless America!

I'll catch up with the other entries in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment