Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Friends and Lovers Still - A Valentine's Message

"Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone — we find it with another." (Thomas Merton)


We've been together now for a baker's dozen worth of Valentine's Days. And after all of those celebrations of our shared love for each other...after all the presents, and cards, and poems and poesies...after all the dinners, and dates, and heartfelt declarations of love...after all the favorite songs played...the favorite memories recounted...You'd think we would start to run out of ways to say "I love you"..."I appreciate you". 

But we don't, and that's a miracle...a true blessing...worth remembering and one I'm truly grateful for. So I open my heart and my thoughts and let them once more try to express what magically seems to never stop growing: all the things I appreciate about you and why I love you as I do. 

"Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along." (Rumi) 


A memorable sunset at Carmel State Beach - 2017
I love still discovering all that we have in common that we love. I would've never thought a quiet, stoic German/Finn and a spunky, spicy, outgoing blonde Italian would share so much in common but we do. Over the last few years I've grown to love:
  • Our shared interest in things greater than ourselves: Politics, World affairs, the deepening spiritual work that we do; the silent sense of awe we feel when seeing a beautiful sunset or sitting quietly by a lake; the willingness we each have shown to forgive and to sacrifice for each other. Rumi was right. It's been in our shared love for what is Higher that each of us has found the love of our lives.
"Love is friendship that has caught fire." (Ann Landers)

Riding horses at Bandon Beach 
I love how you are my best friend: the person who can talk me into any new adventure; the one who makes me laugh the longest and loudest; the one makes me feel brave, and strong, and special...and most importantly, makes me want to be the best "Me" that I can be. You have done that for me ever since I met you, and continue to do so.

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." (Charles Schulz)

A quiet Sunday evening at Irvine & Roberts winery
Yes...a little chocolate is nice. Especially when paired with a little wine, a firepit...and you. I love how we have a good time together, no matter where we go. I can't wait for our next getaway. I'm so grateful that we both enjoy reconnecting, talking to each other, and just being together. May that never change as the years go by.

"If you find someone you love in your life, then hang on to that love." (Princess Diana of Wales)

Another beautiful sunset at Carmel - our favorite getaway
There is more that I could say. I know in my heart that the blessings I've enjoyed from my relationship with you are as endless and new as the ocean we love to visit. But I want to stop here and just smile. Deborah: You are always in my heart, even when we're apart like now, as I sit in front of a computer and tap away at this. 

I love the smiles on both of our faces - A bike ride along the Deschutes River
I intend to hang on to you for a long time. Happy Valentine's Day, Sweetie. I love you dearly. Your Love...our Life together...is my most precious Pearl.

"For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul." (Judy Garland)

No comments:

Post a Comment