Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Precious Pearls - Quotes That Have Inspired Me (#1)

I've been trying to come up with an idea for some new, shorter blog entries so I'll be tempted to write more often. This will be my first attempt. I've always collected quotes throughout my life: posted them on my wall in my classrooms, shared them with friends, etc. So in this ongoing series of posts, I'll share a quote that inspired me and a brief reflection on it. I think it'll be fun to see what I choose.

This quote is one I read from Guy Finley's book "The Seeker, The Search, The Sacred". It's a little long, but it is a simple prayer that has always moved me.

A Creed for Those Who Have Suffered (by an unknown Confederate soldier)

"I asked God for strength that I might achieve...
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things...
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy...
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men...
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life...
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for...
but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among all men most richly blessed."



This prayer reminds me of so many things that I so easily forget, and my mind wants to launch off into some serious intellectual musings about this prayer. But I want to keep this simple. I want to simply remember what I feel each time I read this, because that's why it inspired me.

Humility
Surrender
Connection
Gratitude

And out of all of that, I realize, comes real Strength...and real Peace.

That's a real Pearl worth remembering.


No comments:

Post a Comment