Friday, March 1, 2013

A Lunch Date

"The day the Lord created hope was probably the same day he created Spring." (Bern Williams)

I feel like a sleepy polar bear, drowsy and stiff, crawling out of my winter cave and squinting at the sun and wondering:


Where did the winter go?  What have I been doing?  Is it Spring already?  "Yawwnnn!"

Well, let's start to get caught up over lunch.  You're invited to a "Lunch Date" with me!  Today I think I'll fix a chicken salad, served over some fresh greens with a crusty baquette.  "C'est delicieux, mon ami!"



While I'm chopping and stirring, and we're both enjoying a chilled glass of rose', what would we talk about?
  • "Spring has Sprung":  The sun's been shining again this week, stirring all that it warms (including me!).  Deborah and I have begun "Spring cleaning", which always means cleaning things that have been left dusty and ignored all winter (yuck!) and throwing away lots and lots of stuff.  Her son and girlfriend just moved into a new place, so a lot of our discards have found a new home - "One man's trash is another man's treasure".  It always feels good to clear out the "flotsam and jetsam" that tends to amass at home.  But here's a new thought.  If a part of me feels good throwing stuff out, who the heck is it who COLLECTS all that stuff in the first place?  "Somebody" who's not "Me"?  Reminds me of this little story (don't know who first wrote it)
This is a little story about four people named 
Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.
There was an important job to be done and 
Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.
Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.
Somebody got angry about that because 
It was Everybody's job.
Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, 
But Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.
It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when 
Nobody did what Anybody could have done
  • "Spring has Sprung, Pt. II":  I had a chance to also get outside and dig in the dirt a little too.  We planted some pansies for some early spring color.  They're always such brave little flowers; blooming when all the others are still cozy in the ground!  I also went out and pruned our roses, hoping to make room for plenty of new buds that will fill our house with love and beauty come June! (The perfect flower for the hopeful romantic, me)

    One of our roses out front from last year
  • Our "Gold Coast Getaway":  Two weekends ago, Deborah and I snuck away to the Oregon coast for a day and a night - we hadn't been able to get away since August.  We both so love the beauty and peace we experience at the beach.  We stayed in a new place in Gold Beach.  The first room we were booked into was a bit....uh, to be honest...disappointing.  But we were able to get moved into a room that was a little nicer; better view, cleaner, not so much a hunting lodge from the 1950's!  We loved fixing our own dinner in our room; enjoying a glass of wine while watching the sun set; and falling asleep to the gentle rumble of the waves outside.  The highlight of our getaway?  Our hike in Otter Point State Park.  The views were spectacular!  So glad it was sunny that day!   Our time at the beach always seems so short - but much loved.  We will return.

    Deborah and the view at Otter Point
  • The "Oscars" and us:  We don't go out to the movies a lot, but we did pretty well when it came to seeing the best films of the year.  "Thumbs Up":  We loved "Argo", the "Best Picture" winner.  It was a thrilling story, and hard to believe that it was true!  I just finished reading the book, written by former CIA agent Tony Mendez who masterminded the rescue.  The movie was a little embellished (to heighten suspense), but it still was engaging!   We also enjoyed "Life of Pi", which won "Best Director" for Ang Lee - but I told you about that movie at our last date.  "Thumbs Down":  We didn't enjoy "Lincoln", the Spielberg feature for which Daniel Day-Lewis won his 3rd "Best Actor" Oscar.  In fact, we walked out halfway into the movie!  Too many bearded politicians talking at each other in dark rooms....guess we missed out on the "thrilling" ending in the Senate.  Oh well... We also didn't feel moved to see the latest "Les Miserables" extravaganza.  Though we love the story (and the 1998 movie version starring Liam Neeson), the 2012 version with Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Anne Hathaway (who won "Best Supporting Actress") just seemed too long, and too much music for our tastes. 


  • "Tick, tock, tick, tock":  Retirement is quietly sneaking up on me.  This week I'm starting to hear its footsteps shuffling silently closer.  The reality of what was once only a far off thought is becoming more and more real - which is both exciting and a little scary.  Today at school I threw out my first batch of files containing lessons and materials that I will never teach again.  A little hard to let go of stuff - but healthy.  There'll be a lot more of this to do in the next couple of months.  "We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come.” (Joseph Campbell).  I'm ready for a new life, some new challenges, and a new direction - even though I know I'll also feel a little uncomfortable with all the "newness".  (I'm not much of a "creature of habit" - just ask my wife!)
Well, lunch is almost over...the bottle of wine mostly gone.  While enjoying the little fruit tart I made for dessert, what's left to say?


 How about a last toast?  A toast to Spring.  A toast to new beginnings and starting over.  A toast to hope and to sunshine and to living life a little fresher and newer.  I especially like this quote:

"I think that no matter how old or infirm I may become, I will always plant a large garden in the spring.  Who can resist the feelings of hope and joy that one gets from participating in nature's rebirth?" (Edward Giobbi) 

Spring is not possible without there being a passing away of something old.  Spring isn't possible without some effort and work.  What is new and fresh can only be enjoyed when space is made for it.


 That's a Pearl that's true for pansies and roses.  And for me.

Thanks for coming by!  See you again soon! 








No comments:

Post a Comment