Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring's Happy Nudgings

"Italy, and the spring, and first love all together should suffice to make the gloomiest person happy." (Bertrand Russell)




I always knew that my heritage was mostly German, with a little Finnish sprinkled in (just for fun?).  And at times, I love to pretend that I'm "Irish" and stroll around with a twinkle in my eye and a knack for telling a bit of blarney.  But now it seems clear that there is another genus in my genes, another latent lineage, unrecognized until  this morning, when I rose and sat squinting out my window at the gray March morning.

Grants Pass' resident groundhog, "Mr. Marmota Monax", had reappeared!  The West Coast's version of Punxsutawney Phil had risen after apparently seeing his shadow 8 weeks ago and fleeing back into his hole.  Now at last, the first faint whispers of spring, the first dim rays of sun, peeking through the clouds had finally tickled his toes and gently lured him back out.  "Come out and play!  See what's new!".  And here I am.

"Spring is God's way of saying, 'One more time!" (Robert Orben)


I am grateful for Spring's persistent nudgings - to begin again.  To venture out again.  To stretch and to grow, and to breathe fresh air and to shake off the dust and cobwebs of busyness, of sameness, of "I'm too tired", and "Maybe tomorrow".  Spring invites me to take off my cozy winter slippers and put on my Wellies and yellow slicker and jump messily back into the puddles of Life.

So, as I enjoy this week of Spring vacation, I'll go about doing just that.  I'll whistle happily while Deborah and I swirl around the house doing our Spring cleaning:  new paint, new kitchen counters, "Out with the old!  Bring in the new colors and carpet!  Easter bunnies, yes - dust bunnies not allowed!"  Our home will be refreshed and reborn - new and alive - and so will I.

And like the little pink crocuses poking their heads up outside my window, I'll even find the time to write again.  Because I know it helps something good inside of me bloom.

Life's treasures are found only through Life's stirrings...and being willing to be stirred.

So, let Spring be sprung!  Time to "Stop dilly-dallying, Jonathan!" (as my mother would say!)...and time to get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment