Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Music of Love

"You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear." (Oscar Wilde)



A song has been skipping along, innocently and happily, in my head today. It's a song I heard long ago when I was a boy and I always sang along to it when I heard it. It was by The Beatles (my favorite band - still today!) and it was called "I Will". Here are the lyrics:


Who knows how long I've loved you
You know I love you still
Will I wait a lonely lifetime
If you want me to, I will
For if I ever saw you
I didn't catch your name
But it never really mattered
I will always feel the same
Love you forever and forever
Love you with all my heart
Love you whenever we're together
Love you when we're apart
And when at last I find you
Your song will fill the air
Sing it loud so I can hear you
Make it easy to be near you
For the things you do endear you to me
Oh, you know I will
I will
It's a sweet song about love and about faith. I'm not surprised that it touched me, or that I still remember it today - I'm kind of an "old-fashioned romantic" at heart.

The song speaks about the magical power of love to touch us in an instant, yet change us forever. It's about knowing the beauty of love - not through thought, but in allowing its melody to stir a chord within us - a chord that leaps in happy recognition of its complement when it hears it. It is a song about an eternal longing, that one would make any sacrifice, wait any period of time - an eternity if necessary - to fulfill.


I'm sure the song has been the gentle soundtrack in my head all day today because it's Valentine's Day, and because I feel like such a lucky guy. Lucky to be married to a beautiful woman, whose heart and being has helped me learn what glorious "music" laid within me: waiting to be played, waiting to be heard, waiting to be shared.

Deborah at Carmel CA - Spring 2014
Thank you Sweetie for being my muse, my inspiration, and my soulmate. May we continue to allow Love to make us its instruments, and to help us always find the song within each other. 



McCartney and Lennon. Rodgers and Hammerstein. Great duos.

The two of us at Benham Falls (Cent. Oregon) - Summer 2015
But I'll take you and me. Anytime. Forever. You've helped me hear all of Life's symphonies.

I love you always.

Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

  1. I changed the settings on my blog so it's easier to leave a comment. Feel free to tell me what you think! Thanks, Jon.

    ReplyDelete