Thursday, January 25, 2018

Precious Pearls - Quotes That Have Inspired Me (#2)

Yesterday's post was so much fun, I had to come back today with another. This quote is truly one of my most favorite.


Dr. King's message about the times in which one's true character and courage are revealed has always inspired me because it seemed to speak to epic moments; to dark, divisive battles that life challenged someone to face. It always seemed to speak of a moment when a "hero" - someone exceptional - was called to rise. And history is filled with those types of stories: special men and women who've stood for something Higher when it was most difficult to do so.

Life asks us: "In this moment - be it comfortable or challenging - Where do you stand? What is your first Love? What will you stand FOR?

And I certainly know that in the most painful and disappointing moments of my life:
  • When my coaching career ended in a storm of parent complaints and accusations
  • When I knew I needed to quit smoking
  • When I've had to admit I hadn't been honest with Deborah and felt her anger and disappointment
  • When family members or friends have hurt or disappointed me
I have felt Life asking me those questions - and I have suffered, or grown, based on my choices.

But as I've gotten older, I've begun to realize that this choice is something Life is ALWAYS presenting to ALL of us - in each and every moment. And it doesn't take an exceptional person to "answer the call". It just takes a willingness to Be Present and to Consciously Choose. So I'm trying to be more aware of this in even the smallest, most routine moments - even those that seem happiest or most comfortable.

What will I stand FOR in this Moment? What do I love? What will I be an expression of? 
  • Will I give my best, even if I don't feel at my best?
  • Will I be honest, even if being so reveals something I don't want to see?
  • When I feel I have every right to be angry, resentful, impatient, etc. will I not inflict it on another?
  • Will I enjoy this moment - with gratitude - and then be willing to let it go?
As I said earlier, a lot will be learned by the choices I make. Writing this has helped me see this quote in a whole new way. 

One more new precious Pearl in my pocket...





No comments:

Post a Comment